Six apprentices have joined The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University to work with Assistant Directors around the country as they gear up to visit schools and study abroad fairs this fall.
The new recruits are all veterans of study abroad with excellent experience and knowledge of what prospective students can expect. Their role will be to talk to any students that are considering study abroad and tell it as it is—explain what it really feels like to step off the plane into a new country, far away from family and friends and to integrate into a new institution, culture, language and society.
John Wells, Director of Enrollment Management, The College of Global Studies, highlighted the experience and energy of the new team as they begin their careers in study abroad. “These apprentices bring a great enthusiasm for study abroad since they’ve all studied overseas themselves,” he said. “I can’t think of a better group to speak with prospective students about the educational opportunities, practical realities and personal achievement that’s possible with study abroad. We’re delighted to have them with us.”
Following two weeks of training at The College, the apprentices will disperse to various regions across the United States. Caitlin Barnett, an Arcadia University alumna who studied abroad at Griffith University-Gold Coast is excited about her new position. “I’m really looking forward to helping out students in their decision making as I know they will have so many questions,” she said. “I’m very happy to have this opportunity and to learn about the work that goes into study abroad programs at The College.”
The Six Apprentices
- Katie Bowker, an Arcadia graduate who participated in FYSAE-London and spent a year in Spain (one semester in Granada and one in Toledo).
- Stephen Hesson, an Arcadia graduate who participated in FYSAE-London and spent a semester at UCD.
- Chris Macchi, an Arcadia graduate who studied abroad in Granada for a summer and has been working with University Relations for the last three months.
- Liz Rothfuss, an Arcadia graduate and Fine Arts major who studied abroad in Florence and on FYSAE-London.
- Shannon Peak, a Temple University graduate who studied abroad in Oviedo, Spain, and worked in the study abroad office at Temple University.
- Caitlin Barnett, an Arcadia graduate who studied abroad at Griffith University – Gold Coast.